Long Arm Quilting

Monday, January 18, 2016

My Mighty Lucky Quilting Club Blocks


Hey there folks!

Have you heard about the Mighty Lucky Quilt Club? It has been all over my Instagram feed, so I decided to give it a go for the first month. Just to see if it is something I would actually do. I am not much of a joiner of things especially quilting things because my free time for quilting it so precious. I used to sew for fun all the time, but now I just feel guilty if I am not working on client quilts. Do you know what I mean? But then I got to thinking....my mind is jam packed full of quilts and ideas for quilts. I actually NEED to just sew for myself sometimes like I did when I first began making quilts. 

I also got to thinking about my Flicker Quilt Bee. I had such a great group of ladies to make quilts with. Each month one of us would have a challenge...a block to make for the lady of the month. It was so fun to work outside my box, or learn something new. I missed that. So I went to the Mighty Lucky quilt club website and join for the first month. It was Krista's month and the skill of the January was Bias strips.

I love bias when I do appliqué, but I do my bias differently than the technique shown by Krista. I don't use a bias maker, I just long baste stitch the bias and use my iron to shape it into the curves I desire. I also just pin the bias in place before stitching it down with my sewing machine. That is easier for me and that is how Gwen Marston taught me. If its good enough for Gwen it is good enough for me folks.


These are the 3 blocks I made. I suppose they are really 4 blocks, but the vine one is more one than 2 right.


I started with this one. It is pretty similar to Krista's block. I made it different by piecing my bias with several different prints. I like the scrappy look.


Next block was this puppy. Similar to the first block, but a little different.


And last but not least my vine block. I still need to stitch down the little flower blossoms. I have gotten several questions about what background I used. It is Paint dot cloud by Alexia Abegg for Cotton+Steel.  I still have some in my shop.

In summery I really liked this challenge. I feel like it really jump started my sewing MOJO. I will be doing next month with Season Evans too. Are you joining along?

Have a Happy Day Folks!

Tia

4 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to do bias strips to finish up Edyta's house quilt blocks that my stitch group exchanged. Seeing your attempts at bias strips, just might push me into finishing this project. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Karen! Bias is super easy. It looks so fancy though.

      Delete
  2. I am also a member of mighty lucky quilting club. I like your blocks very much and they are a great inspiration. Thanks for sharing, the idea of pining the bias - mine are not finished because I had to buy a bias maker and had to finsih a quilt which is similar to your strip quilt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read each one. I will either respond via email or here in the comments. xo - Tia